Scott had a lot of pride in his recovery. He especially enjoyed continuing to spend time around his friends who still used, as he liked to be a bit of a source of inspiration for them. A couple of them even followed him into recovery
After a few years, Scott experienced a lot of change, some of it even good. But the change led to stress that triggered a relapse. Like many, Scott tried using his regular old dose that turned out to be too much for his lowered tolerance. He overdosed. He died alone and the housing staff discovered him in his apartment a couple of days later. He left behind several friends in recovery.